Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Oakham Ales Whakaari


I apologise for beginning to get predictable, another Oakham Ale comes along and I have to stick something on here about it. Well, everyone else is going on about Magic Rock Magic 8 Ball at the moment, so I reckon I'll share a different beer with you.


The Swan and Rushes had a cask of Whakaari, another one of those Oakham Ales in the Oakademy of Exellence series. They appear unannounced, drain in a few hours and disappear, never to be seen again.


It's a 4.3% abv pale ale with a flavour that can't be compared to orange pith, mango, lychees or any other fruit.
It just tastes of hops, Pacific Gem and Nelson Sauvin to be exact.
Very bitter. Very very dry. The kind of flavour a true hop head craves.




One gulp and I was imagining drinking outdoors on a hot summer day, not huddled next to a radiator in January. I stuck around and had a few until there was no more. The more I drank the less I could taste. My tongue was hop-lashed senseless.


Time came to sling my hook when the new Oakham Preacher was pulled through. The gunslinging vicar on the pumpclip bears an uncanny resemblance to head brewer John Bryan. Preacher was a pretty decent brew, but nothing like the smoking Whakaari.

No comments:

Post a Comment