Saturday, 12 November 2011

Wagons Roll.... I'm Off!




After sixteen days of unintended abstinence it was time to reacquaint myself with beer.

I'd received a box of Summer Wine Brewery bottles earlier in the week and was dying to try some. On Friday I got the itch I could only scratch with a pale ale.
Summer Wine Hermes Pale Ale it was to be. An hour in the fridge whilst I got restless.
19 hundred hours and the bottle was opened and poured. I had a good long sniff; I couldn't even remember what beer smelt like, let alone tasted like.

Trust Summer Wine not to disappoint, the Hermes was gorgeous. Masses of grapefruit. Unpretentious. Unfussy. Just damn good refreshing pale ale.




What the next day required was a hobble to the Swan and Rushes for a pint of Oakham JHB. Another hop-fix but at only 3.8%abv. It did the job and I was feeling reckless so I ordered a pint of Oakham Redneck.
Redneck is one of those beers Oakham originally brewed as a special for Peterborough beer festival. It's now brewed once a year on the small kit at the Brewery Tap as part of their Oakademy of Excellence.
It's not one of my favourite Oakham ales, it's a bit unbalanced for my palate. With a red ale I'd expect a lot of malt and body to the beer, but this is all about the hops.



My stomach craved chunky chips and they were only a three minute walk away at The Font. Still the best pub chips in Leicester until I find better. I've had my eyes on the chips in The Pub, maybe I should give them a go.
The chips were floury on the inside and crispy on the outside. Filling. Washed down with a pint of almost tasteless Vedett Extra Blond I was stuffed.

That was it. Enough. Back home to feel a hangover developing. Yes, a hangover after three pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment