Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Dog and Gun, Syston




I recently popped over to Syston to check out the refurbished Dog and Gun. The latest addition to the Steamin' Billy empire.

Let's just check;
The Cow and Plough, Oadby
The Paget Arms, Loughborough
The Western, Leicester
The Steam Trumpet, Thornton
and Time, Leicester (although it doesn't carry any Steamin' Billy branding).

One of the first things that strikes me when I walk in one of these pubs is the breweriana hanging on all the walls. This seemed a bit more toned down in the Dog and Gun, but there's already that traditional boozer feel about the place. With enough Jack Russells on the doors and windows to remind you of where you're drinking.


Eight ales including two or three Steamin' Billy and guests by Adnams, Grainstore and Derventio on this visit. The keg stuff included Blanche De Bruxelles and the delicious Brooklyn Lager.

Steamin' Billy beers are now contract brewed by Grainstore.
The ones I drank on this visit tasted completely different to the ones previously brewed by Tower of Burton upon Trent.
I reckon the 3.6% Tipsy Fisherman had improved. It isn't as sweet. A much drier finish and as a session beer I could easily get through more now it isn't as cloying. I wish I could say the same of the 5% Skydiver. This used to be a ruby coloured strong ale. Grainy, satisfying. Now it is sickly sweet and the colour almost like Bass.

I didn't order any food but the menu ticked all the right boxes for me.
Cobs, Ploughman's lunches and pork pies. Simple. The kind of food not enough pubs sell.





The staff were all friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves, pulling pints and playing air guitar to November Rain.

The Dog and Gun is about a five minute walk from Syston railway station.

Dog and Gun, Chapel Street, Syston, Leicester LE7 1GN

www.steamin-billy.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment