Tuesday, 2 August 2011

The Kernel at The Cask Pub and Kitchen




Arriving in London and panicking that I'd forgotten my ear defenders. I was going to a gig, right?

Well not quite, but these events feel like gigs to me, being so used to small intimate gigs in pubs. 10 minute queues at the bar...

12 beers lined up on one bar. 9 keg and 4 cask.
Export India Porter, Imperial Brown Stout, Saison, Nelson Pale, Black IPA, Nelson IPA, Citra IPA, Mount Hood Pale, Export Stout, Citra, Nelson IPA... I lost count.
8 bottles too. I think.

Back at The Cask Pub and Kitchen, Pimlico.

Its only a year since I first drank The Kernel. I wouldn't even know which beers they were. I picked them up at Sourced Market at St. Pancras. I've only had a draught beer of theirs at the London Brewers' Alliance showcase last September, Citra. Had plenty of, shedloads of bottles since though.

Tonight was proof, if it were needed, that in about 18 months this small brewery has become one of the most successful in London and I guess any second now the UK.

Massive fresh flavours from the pale hoppy beers and IPAs. The Export India Porter was a sublime mix of bonfire toffee and fennel. The Saison was as good as any Belgian farmhouse Saison.

Beers were soon running out and some taps being replenished. Crowds of drinkers. This was always going to be the one.

Next time make sure you're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment