Thursday, 12 August 2010

Black Bogies




I'm often in London for gigs (A can of Red Stripe for £3.50+ but we won't go there...) If I have time I'll head somewhere like the Rake for a decent pint first, but it's not very often I'm in London just for the beer.

I'd left it a full year until I went on what could be described not so much a pub crawl but, well put it like this I got greedy.

First stop The Rake for thirst-quenching keg beers on a really hot day. Love this place. No nonsense , no frills, but it oozes cool. Just dead good beers and tubs of Yorkshire Henderson's flavoured crisps. It's all you need sometimes.

Next up Brew Wharf. One day I'm going to have to come here in an evening. It just doesn't do anything for me during the day. Nice beer though. Meantime on keg. I think I had a pint of Tasty. 5.5% abv I reckon it was.

Then to the place I affectionately call The Abattoir (time to get slaughtered, what?!) otherwise known as The Cask in Pimlico.

The most dangerous bar south of the Sheffield Tap (check out the photo above). It went something like this; Seaforth, Hardcore IPA, The Physics, Murmansk, Punk IPA and Paradox. Don't ask me what order, I just know I did. The Paradox was scarily morish, slipped down easy. Dunno what cask it had been matured in, Isle of Arran? There was a sweet smooth vanilla finish. Black custard. Gannet.

The Bree Louise isn't too far from Euston Road so it was on the way back.

I remember loads of casks on stillage, Trashy Blonde, Hardcore IPA again and a man at the bar talking to me about Hardcore IPA and me not saying much in return. Slack-jawed, mouth agape, tongue lolling.

Playing Spot the Brompton on Euston Road then nothing. I just know it wasn't the Hardcore, OK? It was the Murmansk. It's always the Murmansk.

My wife's left elbow jams into my side. We must be home...

I have black bogies.

No comments:

Post a Comment